Your Baby Development: 14 Weeks OldHow big is your baby? This week your baby will be weighing around 12 3/4 pounds and measuring 23 3/4 inches if he/she was of average size at birth. By this stage your baby is now tracking objects with his/her eyes easily now. Earlier in infancy, your baby had trouble fixing both eyes on an image. Now he can lock his gaze onto an object moving several feet away from him. He/She may what people moving around him/her. Arm and leg movements are becoming more and more controlled now. Baby can now hold his/her head when sitting, and his/her grasping ability is getting better and baby is making a greater effort to use it. You may notice that your baby is beginning to drool more and more now, some babies drool so much that they are constantly wet around the neck and face. See the article in the baby care section on dealing with drool associated rashes. By now you should be able to tell when your baby is tired. Obvious signs are yawning, rubbing his/her face, avoiding interaction with others and crying or fussing. An over tired baby will regress in behavior.
Baby Development Milestones This Week
- Focuses eyes at different distances
- Holds head steady and erect for short periods
- Clasps fingers and hands in play
- Smiles and vocalizes more to an actual face to an image
- Attempts to soothe self
- May prefer a particular toy
- Can be quieted with music
- Plan extra time for everything
- When making your booking, ensure that the whole family sits together
- If possible schedule the trip for baby’s nap time
- If possible, travel during quieter times, such as at night
- Dress baby comfortably
- Change baby before you board the plane
Please note: The information provided on this website is not intended to and do not constitute professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.