Your Baby Development: 9 Weeks Old
How big is your baby?
This week your baby will be weighing around 10 1/2 pounds and measuring 22 inches if he/she was of average size at birth.
baby should be sleeping or feeding in more regular patterns now, and may even be sleeping through at night.
Baby is now becoming more and more responsive. He/She may smile in reaction to seeing someone, or simply just for pleasure. You may also notice tha he/she anticipates feeding and starts sucking when he/she sees the breast or bottle.
Baby’s reflexive actions may begin to fade now and become more voluntary. Arm and leg movement are becoming less jerky and more rhythmical. He/She may begin to make creeping movements on his/her tummy, or roll from his/her back to his/her side, or maybe all the way onto his/her back.
Baby Development Milestones This Week
- May sleep through the night
- Can hold object for a few seconds
- Body tone improves
- Walking reflex disappears
- Coordinates eye movement in circle when watching object or light
Mental & Social Development
- Sucks at the sight of the breast or bottle, and squirms in anticipation
- Smiles easily and spontaneously
- Begins to enjoy bath time
- May laugh and chuckle
- Quiets when held or sees faces or hears voices
- Prefers to watch person than object
Radiators and Forces Air Heaters
When placing baby’s crib in his/her room you should always keep it away from heaters or radiators as well as out of line out of line of air flow from hot or cold ducts.
His/her chance of getting a cold or other respiratory infection increase when exposed to heated air from ducts. It dries out his/her throat and nose, increasing the chances of infection.