Pregnancy Stages : Second Trimester
The second trimester is made of weeks 14 to 26. One of the greatest milestones of the second trimester is that you will begin to feel your baby move. The second trimester is usually the one which women enjoy the most, as morning sickness should have almost completely disappeared and you will begin to look and feel pregnant, without feeling like you have just loaded on a few extra pounds.
During this stage of your pregnancy, your body will start to really change shape as your pregnancy weight gain starts to pick up as your baby grows inside of your uterus. During the course of this trimester you will begin to experience some of the other pregnancy symptoms such as back pain, headaches and dizziness, but these are normal, and you can read more about these in the pregnancy complications section.
How will you and your baby be affected
You will need to change
- If you aren’t already following an exercise program, then now is a good time to start one.
- Continue to follow a healthy diet, ensuring that you and your baby are getting all the correct nutrients.
- Drink plenty of fluids, water being the most important.
- Consult your healthcare provider before you take any medication.
- Get as much rest as possible.
How you will be affected
- You may find that moles and freckles will begin to get darker.
- Your breasts will continue to grow in size.
- You may start to retain water resulting in swollen fingers, feet, ankles and legs.
- Your belly will begin getting rounder as you continue to gain weight and will start to look pregnant.
How your baby will develop
- Your baby’s bones will begin to get harder.
- Ears will begin to look like real ears.
- Lanugo, which is a fine hair will begin to cover his/her body.
- Your baby will begin to form sleeping patterns.
- Your baby will move about inside your uterus.
REMEMBER! Our free members section offers a custom pregnancy calendar which will be specific for your pregnancy, and offer a greater detailed week by week break down of your baby and your own development and growth. So be sure to register now, it’s free!
Read out article on the common second trimester discomforts!
Watch the video on the second trimester by medical professionals to give you further insight as to what you can expect.