Makes 6 – 8 Servings
Prep: 15min | Bake: 45min
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbs cornstarch
6 cups fresh berries of your choice
1 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
1 cup plain flour
3/4 cup self-raising yellow cornmeal mix
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup milk
1. Combine 1/3 cup of the sugar and the cornstarch together in a small bowl. Mix the berries, cornstarch mixture and lemon rind in a large bowl until well blended.
2. Lightly grease a 2-qt baking dish and spoon in berry mixture.
3. Mix the flour, cornmeal mix and remaining 2/3 cup of sugar in a bowl. Stir in the melted butter and milk until well blended.
4. Gently spoon the flour mixture over the berries until well covered and bake in an oven preset to 350° F for 40-45min or until skewer comes out clean when placed through the center of the pastry.
5. Serve warm with fresh cream or homemade custard.